Friday, July 30, 2010

GFDF Crumpets, meltdowns and hair cuts, Oh My ! Flog it baby!

Sorry to leave you all making small talk, was off dealing with another massive meltdown.
I've chopped my (looooong) hair off (tired of it being pulled) and I've been reassured a bajillion times by the Aspie teen (between apologies) that "it suits you mum, makes you look really young".
*snort*
Silver tongued little monkey.
Photobucket
A shot from our recent trip to Dunolly.

I promised you GFDF crumpets that I was going to convert from a Matt Preston recipe.
Well, I did convert it - after I realised it was 11.15pm !!!! and I'd promised His Nibs crumpets for brekkie so I got a wriggle on.
I got the 2 teaspoons of yeast burbling away in warm water, had the soy milk heating on the stove, had the bowl of 1 cup of rice flour, 1/2 cup corn flour and 1/2 cup tapioca flour with a pinch of salt sitting in the bowl, combined the soy milk with the yeast then with the flours in the bowl.....
Then I read the next bit.
"Leave it covered in a warm spot for 1 hour"
By this time it was 11.45pm and I was just a wee bit tired.
I covered the damn bowl, started washing up the rest of the messy dishes and gave up trying to find other things to keep me awake and occupied after 40 mins.
Whipped the teatowel off the top and found that the batter had gone "a little bit farkin' freaky" were the words I apparently said to the husband perched in the lounge room.
The batter had grown to the point it was about to leap from the bowl and start running for parliament.
I soon put a stop to that by adding the requested 1/2 teaspoon of bi carb of soda which got that manifesting mutant sorted out quick smart.
Then I greased the pan and egg rings and fried the whole catastrophe up until there was no batter left to engage in staring contests with Julie Bishop.
The crumpets were ok; a bit on the gritty side with the larger portion being rice flour but tasted perfectly fine once slathered in margarine and honey.
Aspie teen loved 'em and has requested more.
The next batch I will make in a smaller portion - that volume gave us a bajillion of the little suckers, and I'll swap the ratio of flours around to using the cornflour more and the rice flour less.

rrsahm
The New Rules (which are kinda almost pretty much the same as the Old Rules)


1. Follow my blog. (*ahem* *cough* My Blog. Me me me. Me me. You get the picture.)
2. Grab B's bubbly button and post it on your sidebar.
3. Link your First Name and/or Blog Name and URL of your linked post (not your homepage) below.
4. Add a short description (max of 125 chars). It could be a description of yourself, your blog or a teaser to your latest post.
5. Follow at least 1 linkyer/blogger (Be nice and spread the love).
6. The list will be open for linkyers on Fridays (and for the foreigners Friday as well).
7. A new and fresh link list will open every Friday. And you will have to link up AGAIN. The previous link list does not carry over to the following week.
8. And lastly, have lotsa fun. I mean it. If I detect anyone not totally loving the awesomeness, I will bump you off the linky list. (Joking) (Kinda).

6 comments:

Tenille said...

Crumpet batter, garden gnomes; julie bishop will out-stare anything.

Fi said...

I love your sense of humour Ro - it's fabulous!
And there's ANOTHER recipe of yours that I just HAVE to try

thanks :)

Unknown said...

ooooo - I'm gonna print this out and leave it on the fridge and I'm pretty sure hubby will be inspired to make them. (He's the magic bread and dough making fairy. )
Thanks heaps!

katepickle said...

mm crumpets!!!!

Unknown said...

Mmmm... yummy.. I haven't had crumpets for ages!!

Ro said...

LOL Tenille, absolutely!

Thanks, Fi :)

Go for it, Toushka, hope you enjoy them :)

Always a winner, Kate :)

Spoil yourself, Lori, they're great winter fare :)