Don't speak too loudly but, while there are still a few small hiccups in behaviour (c'mon, let's face it, there are NO magic bullets in medicine), Aspie teen is getting engaged in schoolwork and activities again.
I've used this handwriting worksheet generator numerous times over the years and I've found it to be great; you can print sentences that are all about the child, rather than bland "The ladybird slaughtered the whole herd of aphids on the roses".
Which really grabs their attention from the start.
Problem was, though, that Aspie teen wasn't able to stay focused or retain any of the cursive practice as he couldn't see the point of it all.
Today, I explained that it was similar to him not crawling, that it was a necessary milestone he needed to go back and complete to get the wiring in his brain into gear.
This really helped him zero in and make the effort, finishing 4 worksheets quickly but tidily.
Oh, I forgot to mention - the worksheet generator now prints paragraphs instead of just sentences or words, so you can make more of a mark with the kidlets.
Another thing we've got him making is an insect box, like this one here.
For a few years now we've umm-ed and ahh-ed about getting a bee hive, or even a native (sting-less) bee hive but either we're too close to other neighbours or the climate isn't right for the native bees, yet we do have some native bees in our garden.
To encourage all manner of insects for pollination and pest control ("The ladybird slaughtered a whole herd of aphids on the roses") we're bunging together a fair few of these insect/bug boxes and slinging them all about the garden to get the buggies happy and happenin'.
Cos when the bugs are happy, so is the environment.
And so is bug-obsessed Aspie teen *snort*.
Get ready, get linky... flog!!
- Follow my blog, the Random Ramblings of a SAHM. I never seem to get to reading all the links here. But believe me, I try. Not that any of this is my idea anyway- FYBF is MummyTime's brainbaby. I stole it.
- Grab the bubbly button and post it on your sidebar.
- Link your First Name and/or Blog Name and URL of your post or blog.
- Add a short description (max of 125 chars). It could be a description of yourself, your blog or a teaser to your latest post. .
- Follow at least 1 linkyer/blogger (Be nice and spread the love).
- The list will be open for linkyers on Fridays (and for the foreigners Friday as well).
- A new and fresh link list will open every Friday. And you will have to link up AGAIN. The previous link list does not carry over to the following week.
- And lastly, have lotsa fun. I mean it. If I detect anyone not totally loving the awesomeness, I will bump you off the linky list. (Joking) (Kinda).