Thursday, July 22, 2010

Stuff yer bread rolls, give us a meat pie!

Now, hopefully you're able to see this post.
Cos that means the scheduling thingie in Blogger has worked.
Otherwise this will remain sitting in my "edit" pile of 'drafts'.

Anywho, this is a combo of frugal foods, healthy foods, home cooked foods and fast food for time poor people.
I read this on the interwebs somewhere so I cannot take credit for it.
This is NOT a gluten free/dairy free recipe but it could easily be adapted to be one.

A local bakery sells yesterday's rolls, 4 per bag, for $1.50.
I snaffled a bag as I had planned on making Curtis Stone's pot pies but this was even better.
I sliced the top off the rolls, then gutted them.
Ripped their innards out - which was saved to be made into breadcrumbs for stuffing but will probably end up in the chook food.
Photobucket
I chopped 1  250 gram chuck steak, sauteed it in a pot with a little oil, a sliced leek, 2 spring onions finely chopped, 8-10 small button mushrooms diced and 1 cup of diced capsicum.
Add in 1 cup water, a teaspoon of Moroccan  seasoning, 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning, a little beef stock and let simmer on a low flame for a few minutes.
This is enough for 4 rolls.
Let cool.
I added a little grated cheese in the very base of the gutted rolls, for flavour and to strengthen the base.
Spoon in the pie filling, plop the lid back on and pop into a moderate oven for approx. 20 mins.
Photobucket

  • I greased the tray on which they sat but next time I'd use baking paper.
  • The very top could be sprinkled with more grated cheese, although I want to only fill halfway next time and break an egg into it, then cook whole.
  • Leftovers could easily be used as the pie filling.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Yum! The egg idea sounds wonderful, I'm a big fan of baked eggs.

None said...

The "marry me and have my hedgehogs" reaction says it all.
YUM! Specially the egg idea.
Devs Xx